Dr. Bong Sik Kwon is a renown plastic surgeon known for his expertise in blepharoplasty, which is plastic surgery for the eyelid. His experience and expertise is well acknowledged both by the general public and the medical world： he has been selected as Korea' s best blepharoplasty specialist in magazines like Elle Magazine and Woman Sense and his research was published in SCI plastic surgery journals. Dr. Kwon' s research is considered to be revolutionary because by understanding the relationship between the epicanthal fold and the Asian double eyelid, it suggested a new approach for Asian blepharoplasty. Before Dr. Kwon published his research, for nearly 200 years, it was widely accepted that the Mongolian fold (epicanthus, epicanthal fold) was a congenital abnormality occurring in Asians. In his SCI thesis "Reconsideration of the Epicanthus： Evolution of the Eyelid and Devolutional Concept of Asian Blepharoplasty", Kwon suggested that the epicanthal fold was not a congenital abnormality, but a result of a natural bio-evolution of the eyelids to acclimate Asians to the cold dimate in the region. Using his evolution theory of the Asian eyelid as a base. Dr. Kwon invented and patented a new surgical procedure called Magic Epicanthoplasty(devolutional epicanthoplasty) and Structural Asian Double Eyelid Surgery based on the concept of devolution.
Conventional epicanthoplasty surgeries primarily focused on cutting off the Mongolian fold in order to remove it. However, Magic Epicanthoplasty ( Kwon' s method) rearranges muscular tissues in the upper eyelid to naturally recover the medial canthal structure, making the end result of the surgery more natural. Dr. Kwon is continuing his research on evolutionary eyelid biology of Asians and surgical application to introduce more innovative and universal methods for Asian blepharoplasty.
Graduate of the Medical school, Korea University, Seoul, Korea
OPD Vice-Professor of Ewha Womans University, Seoul, Korea
Board-Certified Surgeon of the Korean Society of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
Active Member of the Korean Society of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
Active Member of the Korean Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery
Active Member of the Korean Cleft Plate-Craniofacial Surgery
Active Member of the Korean Association of Clinical Plastic Surgery
Active Member of the IPRAS(International Confederation for Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery)
1. The clinical relationship of epicanthoplasty and double eyelid in Asian eyelid.
2. Clinical significance of epicanthoplasty in Asian eyelid World congress of minima invasive plastic surgery & dermatlogy
3. Biometric Study of Eyelid Shape and Dimensions of Different Races with References to Beauty, Aesthetic plastic surgery 2012 Jul
4. Reconsideration of the Epicanthus：Evolution of the Eyelid and Devolutional Concept of Asian Blepharoplasty.
5. Prevention of medial hypertrophic scar after blepharoplasty related with epicanthoplasty
6. Corrective epicanthoplasty in patients with unnatural results of prior epicanthoplasty